- The library recognizes that some materials are controversial and that any given item may offend some patrons. Selection of materials will not be made on the basis of anticipated approval or disapproval but solely on the basis of the principles set forth in this policy.
- Comments from members of the community about the collection or individual items in the collection frequently provide librarians with useful information about interests or needs that may not be adequately met by the collection. The library welcomes expression of opinion by patrons, but will be governed by this policy in making additions to or deleting items from the collection.
- Library materials will not be marked or identified to show approval or disapproval of their contents and no library materials will be sequestered, except to protect it from damage or theft.
- Responsibility for reading and the use of the library by children rests with their parents or legal guardians. At no time will library staff act in loco parentis. Selection of library materials will not be inhibited by the possibility that they may come into the possession of children.
- Patrons requesting that an item be withdrawn from the collection may complete a “Request for Reconsideration of Materials” form. Once the form has been fully completed and returned to the library director, the inquiry will be placed on the agenda of the next regular meeting of the Kraemer Library & Community Center Board of Trustees.
Approved February 2007